PDA

View Full Version : Plasti Dip anyone?

sirEricofTX
April 18th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Has anyone plasti dipped their car? if so how durable is it? and how much did it cost?

mitsuG
April 18th, 2013, 11:19 AM
I have mine matte black. I've had it on since February. The more coats you lay on the more durable it's gonna be.

sirEricofTX
April 18th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Did you do it yourself? or did you get it done at a shop?

mitsuG
April 18th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Yup, did it in my brother in laws garage. The only down side to plastidip is it gets dirty really fast and you kinda have to clean it often. I recommend using a Wagner or any electric spray gun. Try to avoid conventional hvlp/gravity air guns

SKUNK
April 18th, 2013, 04:50 PM
NOoooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOO.

SOrry just not a fan of dipping cars lol. Specially new cars that paint is good :D

xLUCIDxSTEVENx
April 18th, 2013, 07:15 PM
What's the pricing on the dip though?

mitsuG
April 18th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Depends on the color or finish you buy. They start at $60 a gallon and goes up to $90 a gallon I believe. You need 3 gallons for small car, 4 for medium, so on and so worth. Dipyourcar.com is where you will fin all the info and the forum for tips of the trade

xLUCIDxSTEVENx
April 18th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Ok cool. See I'm driving a 94 Ford probe se 2.0 Inline 4 I just bought. Its my first Mazda/Ford and when I bought it it had faded red paint. So it looked pink and red. So I just sanded and primerrd it black. If I plastidip it will the plastidip look funny cause I primerrd the car? I'm working on Modding the probe since its 100% stock

mitsuG
April 18th, 2013, 09:34 PM
It shouldn't unless you have body damage or surface rust. Also depending on the color of your car and the color you want, more coats might be needed to cover over your original paint

xLUCIDxSTEVENx
April 18th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Alright well there's no rust thank God LOL. When I bought the car I guess it had some rear corner panel damage but there's bonding over it. So the bodies straight. But alright. So you think maybe 4 coats will be gor ood for like orange red?

mitsuG
April 18th, 2013, 09:54 PM
It's better to buy more than you need just in case or for touch ups

xLUCIDxSTEVENx
April 18th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Alright cool. Ill go ahead and look into the printings and everything. Cause ill need a paint gun to. Thanks for the info bro.

sleepyCD7
April 19th, 2013, 01:01 AM
i plasti dip my stock wheels and my girl's audi wheels and they look great, very durable. when i get bored i'll change the color or peel it off. i wouldnt recommend painting over primer cause it will be hard to peel off. you should clear coat it first. i say do it if your car looks like crap anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkq-qyY9aY

xLUCIDxSTEVENx
April 19th, 2013, 02:44 AM
After watching the video. Its harder to pill off if you put it over clear coats and a littler easier if you put it over primer. I'm looking online right bow. For about 400 bucks I van get the kit which has 3 gallons , spray gun and everything else you need basically. Not to bad for the price

GetDippedTX
April 30th, 2013, 04:01 PM
That what we do the most of. Been doing it with pro guns for nearly a year now at our shop. If anyone needs any tips on it message us or stop on by.

txdipped
August 9th, 2013, 12:50 PM
We do plasti dipped cars in san antonio for under 400.00 txdipped.com best prices best materials cant be beat.

blackac2k13
August 28th, 2013, 04:36 PM
I'm thinking about doing it. Are there any concerns I should have? Brand new paint on the brand new car but wanna dip it for awhile for a fresh look